TV Video Store
Trivia > History Trivia > European History Trivia.
Are you looking for trivia on History ? Check us out.
- At the height of its power, in 400 B.C., Sparta had how many slaves?
In 400 B.C., Sparta had 25,000 citizens and 500,000 slaves.
- Typical Roman baths could hold up to how many people at any given time?
Many Roman baths, particularly at Caracalla, could hold 3,000 people at any given time.
- How long did the shortest war on record last?
The shortest war on record was between Zanzibar and Britain in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.
- Who won the famous Battle of Marathon?
At the Battle of Marathon, a small force of Greek soldiers beat an overwhelming number of Persians. The victory march back to Athens inspired the modern marathon.
- Did Oliver Cromwell die from a beheading?
Actually, no. Oliver Cromwell died peacefully on 3rd Spetember 1658. 18 months later the monarchy had been restored and the royalists wanted revenge for the regicide of King Charles I. Cromwell's corpse was exhumed from his tomb in Westminster Abbey and dragged through the streets of London to Tyburn. He was then given a symbollic hanging. 6 hours later his corpse was taken down from the gallows and beheaded by an executioner. His head was then paraded through the streets before being stuck on an iron spike and displayed atop Westminster Hall.
- When was Switzerland 'officially' created?
Switzerland was created in 1291, when the three basic Cantons (Uri, Schwitz and Unterwalden) signed a pact to protect
themselves from Austria.
- Which country became independent in 1830 after years of struggle against The Netherlands?
- When were the Jesuits expelled from Spain?
- What caused the destruction of a large amount of the potato crop in 1845-6?
A potato blight. Although Ireland had suffered several other famines before (and since) the 1845 one was probably the worst. Over a million Irish died, and another 1.5 million emigrated to other countries.
- What was the name that the Romans gave to France and the surrounding territory?
Please Visit JNJ's Family of Stores
Send comments and mail to: Webmaster@jokesnjokes.net
Last Updated May 6, 2012
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.