MORE FUN STUFF
TV Video Store
Trivia > Animals >Cat Trivia We've got your trivia on Cats, right here !!
- What is the scientific name for catnip?
- Is catnip addictive to your cat?
No. It's safe and non-addictive for them.
- How long does the average catnip "high" last?
Is it okay to trim, or cut, your cat's whiskers?
No. Whiskers are extremely sensitive as they are closely connected to the nervous system. Any damage to your cat's whiskers will cause your cat discomfort, and he may become confused or disoriented.
- How do whiskers help the cat feel their way around?
Air currents. The air currents in the room change depending on where pieces of furniture are located. As the cat walks through the room and approaches the couch, he'll know which direction to turn based on the change in air current around the couch.
Cats in History
Domestic Cat Trivia
- The first true cats were found 12 million years ago, at the start of the Pliocene Period.
- The first tamed cats were used for pest control, probably around 3,000 BC in ancient Egypt.
- The oldest known fossilized record that has a similarity to today's cats has been aged as 12 million years old.
- The ancestor of all domestic cats is the African Wild Cat, which still exists today.
- In ancient Egypt, entire families would shave their eyebrows as a sign of mourning when the family cat died.
- The Ancient Egyptian word for cat was mau, which means "to see."
- In ancient Egypt, cats were mummified; and embalmed mice were placed with them in their tombs.
- Morris, the 9-Lives cat, was discovered at an animal shelter in New England.
- Ailurophobia is the fear of cats. Julius Caesar, Henry II, Charles XI, and Napoleon all suffered from this and would nearly faint in the presence of a cat.
- Nostradamus the French Astrologer, 1503-1566, had a cat named Grimalkin.
Other Cats of the World
- A group of cats is called a clowder of cats.
- A group of kittens is called a kindle of kittens.
- Cats sleep about fourteen hours a day.
- There are about 100 breeds of cats.
- There is no mention of cats or rats in the Bible.
- Cats respond better to women than men. One reason this might be is that women have higher pitched voices than men.
- Black cat superstitions originated in America. In Asia and England, a black cat is considered lucky.
- The cougar, the puma and the mountain lion are all the same animal, they just go by different names in different parts of the world.
- Wild tigers can eat over 60 pounds of meat at one siting. But, a tiger has to dedicate alot of time to hunting, as only about one in ten hunting forays are successful. It mainly preys on deer or wild pig.
- Tigers, in the wild, live to about 10 years old. Whereas in zoos tigers can live to about 25 years.
- Lions sleep up to 20 hours a day.
- The term ‘Black Panther’ is quite often used in connection with large black cats - however there is no one distinct species of wild cat called a Black Panther. A cat that is being called a 'Black Panther,' is more than likely either a jaguar or leopard with melanistic coloration.
Search the Internet with Google !!
Please Visit JNJ's Family of Stores
Send comments and mail to: Webmaster@jokesnjokes.net
Last Updated May 6, 2012
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.